The income tax filing season has begun and important tax documents should be arriving in your mailbox. Even though your return is not due until April, you can make tax time easier on yourself with an early start. Our firm offers the following tips to ensure that you are ready for your tax appointment.
1. Gather your records Round up any documents you’ll need when filing your taxes: receipts, canceled checks and other documents that support income or deductions you’re claiming on your return. Organizing these items will help expedite your tax filing process.
2. Be on the lookout W-2s and 1099s will be coming soon; you’ll need these to file your tax return.
3. Make your appointment. Make sure to call our firm in advance to set up an tax appointment for your personal or business return. The sooner the better.
4. Consider direct deposit If you elect to have your refund directly deposited into your bank account, you’ll receive it faster than a paper check in the mail.
5. Check out IRS Publication 17: Your Federal Income Tax. It’s a comprehensive resource for taxpayers, highlighting everything you’ll need to know when filing your return.
6. Review! Review! Review! Don’t rush. We all make mistakes when we rush. Mistakes slow down the processing of your return. Be sure that you bring all the information you need to justify your deductions and credits. Also, if you received a tax organizer from us, be sure to use it as a checklist of items that you should have with you.
The professionals at our office are here to help you. Please contact us today.